Many students, at some point in their academic life, struggle with one or more courses. There should be no shame in acknowledging this hurdle. Though there is no silver bullet to cure academic struggles, there are tips and resources available that may help.
- Organization of backpack and binders
- Use of the student planner (given free to each student in the Fall)
- Use of weekly progress reports (available in the counseling office on Thursdays)
- Communication with teachers via e mail or in person during break or before or after school
- Use of the Home Access Center (HAC) to follow progress and grading
- PUT YOUR PHONE AWAY!!!! (don’t try to do your homework with your phone next to you)
- DO NOT SLEEP WITH YOUR PHONE IN YOUR BEDROOM (turn off your phone by 9pm and place it in a charging station in a common room away from your bedroom, phones disrupt sleep patterns and make students groggy during the school day.)
- Investigate one on one or group tutoring opportunities
- DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!!! (try to plan and prepare in advance so emergencies do not derail your success)
- Get involved in extra curricular activities in the community or at SRHS (its proven the more involved a student is on their campus, the better they do academically and emotionally)
- Attend classes every day on time and prepared.
- Do not plan family trips during school days
After School Tutoring at Santa Rosa High School
Math: Monday/Thursday Rm 57
English: Monday Rm D108
English: Tuesday Rm D103
English: Wednesday RmD108
English: Thursday Rm D104
Students, who attend SRJC as concurrent enrollment students, have access to the SRJC Tutorial Center on their campus. This Resource is only available for SRJC Students!!!
Locations and Hours
On the Santa Rosa Campus
Located in the Frank P. Doyle Library, First Floor, Rm 4251
Drop-In service available for Math, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, English, and ESL all hours that we are open. All subjects are offered by hourly appointments as well.
Hours of Operation
- Fall & Spring Semesters: Mon–Thurs 8am-7pm / Fri 8am-3pm
- Summer Session: Mon-Thurs 9am–4pm
- For additional information, call: (707) 527-4491
One on One Tutors:
Some students need or desire a one on one relationship with tutors. This option will not come FREE. Often tutors range in price from 25 to 40 dollars an hour. SRJC Math department has their own one on one tutorial list which SRHS publishes and distributes to interested families.
A cheaper version of one on one tutoring is one on one Peer Tutoring. Many SRHS students have mastered academic core areas and enjoy working with their peers in a tutorial relationship. These sessions are usually an hour long and most of the time range between 10 to 15 dollars. A list of potential peer tutors is located in the Counseling Office.
Many Private for profit companies also offer tutoring and organizational skills classes. SRHS does not support or recommend any particular company and families are encouraged to do their own research and move forward at their own risk.
Free tutoring is available at SHRS. Many students can make arrangements with their personal teachers to meet during lunch, before school or after school for questions. Four different subjects are also taught by SRHS teachers for an hour after school on various days per week. Since SRHS teachers are offering this opportunity, they have an in depth understanding of the pacing and content of the subject areas they are teaching.
For additional resources, visit our page on Academic and Life Planning