A-G College Requirements
To meet California State University (CSU) and the University of California (UC) minimum admission requirements, you must complete 15 year-long high school courses with a letter grade of C or better.
- Two years of history-social science
- Four years of college-preparatory English (No more than one year of ESL-type courses can be used to meet this requirement).
- Three years of college-preparatory mathematics (4 years recommended)
- Two years of laboratory science (3 years recommended) At least 1 year of physical science and 1 year of biological science.
- Two years of the same language other than English. Courses taken in the seventh and eighth grades may be used to fulfill part or all of these requirements if the high school accepts them as equivalent to its own courses. (3 years recommended)
- One year-long course of visual or performing arts
- One year (two semesters), in addition to those required in “a-f” above, chosen from the following areas:
- visual and performing arts (non-introductory-level courses),
- history, social science,
- English, advanced mathematics,
- laboratory science and
- language other than English (a third year in the language used for the “e” requirement or two years of another language).
For a high school course to be accepted by the UC system as an A-G course, the course must contain specific content and rigor.
Note: for UC, 11 of the 15 courses must be completed with a C or better before the start of senior year with a 10-11 GPA of 3.0 or higher.