The SRHS Counseling Department has Peer Counselors available for your support. The Peer Counseling program provides peer-to-peer support for students in areas including stress management, interpersonal relationships, transition to high school, and other issues that may impact school connectedness. Please speak to a teacher, Counselor, or Counseling office staff if you feel you would like to check with one of our amazing Peer Counselors.
Characteristics/qualities to become a peer counselor?
- 11th and/or 12th grade student
- Be mature, insightful, empathic, able to maintain privacy, and are willing to learn about difficult issues that impact their peers within the school community.
- Practice active listening by giving their complete attention to what someone is saying, and they respond without judgment.
Benefits of becoming a peer counselor?
- Increase social and professional network.
- Peer Counselors get the opportunity to develop skills that are essential in both academic and future careers.
- Experience as a peer counselor demonstrates leadership qualities to future employers. Experience with peer Counseling shows that you have some knowledge about how to guide the academic and professional development of others.
- Looks good on college Applications
Applications to become a peer counselor for next year will be offered to prospective candidates in the Spring Semester through an invitation from your Counselor.
- Applications to become a peer counselor are available in the SRHS Counseling Office
- Download Peer Counseling Application
- Download Step by Step Peer Counseling Application instruction